TUFLOW Forum
paul_ollett

Flow Control and Measurement Structures

Hi there,

I am collating some standard references for flow (flood) control and measurement structures, for example, sluice gates, radial gates, ogee spillway, broad crested spillway, and various weirs (lateral, labyrinth, v-notch, rectangular notch, flumes, etc).

I have a few well known standards or manuals from the US, for example:

• USBR Design of Small Dams 1987
  • USBR Water Measurement Manual 2001
  • HEC RAS Reference Manual
  • Floodplain Modelling Using HEC RAS (Bently)

I wanted to ask if anyone knew of similar industry standard approaches or publications for the same in other countries, especially the UK?

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

"Streamflow Measurement" by Reginald D Herschy might be worth a look at, especially with regard to UK (the author was a former Chairman of the British Standards Institution Committee on Hydrometry). Be warned, the book is not cheap!

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Streamflow_Measurement.html?id=L1Z-aQeVR0YC

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Paul,

There are British Standards BS3680 Part 4 and BS ISO 4377 which deal with different types of weirs.

For crump weirs (often used in UK as gauging stations) see: White W.R., The performance of two-dimensional and flat-V triangular profile weirs. Proc.I.C.E.,Suppl.(ii) 1971, paper 7350S pp21-48)

All the best,

Kate