TUFLOW Forum
O-Dogs

1D Flow Extraction

Hi there, we have a 2d model with 1d pit and pipe elements.  the pipe network discharges (free to atmospheric) to the ocean.  the pipe network is quite long however.  is there a flag / command / method we can utilise that extracts these flows from the system at the pit node without incorporating the long length 1d element? incorporating the long length 1d element slows our sim time down considerably.

Hi,

I guess I don't understand why the 1D network would be causing the slowness. In my experience the slowdown is almost always the 2D portion of the model.

Is the pipe network a bunch of individual sections so you end up with lots of separate 1D elements? You could represent the whole thing as a single polyline. This will affect the pipe losses but will get flow from the upstream to downstream end with less computations.

I would first check to see if you can increase the timestep in both the 1D/2D portions of the model (watch for instabilities and find a timestep that works well). Also check the output interval for the 1D and make sure that it is reasonable. If it accidentally got set to output every few seconds or something, it will slow down the simulation. Lastly, perhaps you have done this but I would run with and without the pipe network to see how much it slows down computations.

I hope that my responses are helpful and didn't misunderstand the situation. If not, hopefully someone else will chime in with some good ideas.

Cheers,
Rusty

Great thanks Rusty. I think you may have covered the situation with reducing the number of polylines and rather using 1 single polyline. i also think that the output interval was initially way too small. I don't need output regularly at all from the pipeline, so I am guessing I could have a very long output interval.

Output interval won't hurt you unless it is really small like seconds. It may not be affecting you at all. Anyway, good luck.