TUFLOW Forum
siripen_ace

DTM produced from Water Level Line

Hi, 

I'm working on a 1D/2D model with an island (between two channels) represented in the 1D element as extended floodplain. I would like to output the 1D water level on my 2D result. However, the 1d_WLL doesn't seem to produce the correct elevation on the island. 

As you can see on the screenshot, I tried to draw the WLL from the main channel across onto the floodplain but this doesn't seem to produce the right ground elevation.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Siripen

Hi Siripen,

There is no screenshot attached to your post. 

For the 1D water level lines the "dist_to_add_points" attribute on the 1d_wll can be used to insert additional vertices for triangulation.  For example if a value of 10 is added, at each 10m across the 1d_WLL a vertices is added in the triangulation.  There are points created at each vertex (see 1d_wllp_check).  The elevations for these lines are initially based on the processed cross-sectional data (i.e. the height-width data).  By using the 1d_WLLp file you can assign an elevation and roughness value (see Section 4.11.2.2 of manual).  By using more realistic values of elevation on the WLLp layer, this allows you to create better flood extents (including wetting and drying) along the 1D sections of  the model.  It should be noted that water level lines do NOT change the 1D hydraulic computations, this is purely used in order to display the 1D results in plan (2D) format.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Phil