TUFLOW Forum
O-Dogs

Modelling Drainage Pits as HT boundaries in pure 2D model using GPU

Is is possible to apply HT boundaries within the 2D domain to withdraw flows out of the model and avoid using 1d estry components?  I'd like to maintain using the GPU module.

Cheers

O

Hi O-Dogs,

The HT boundary can work as a source or sink term depending on the elevation of your water surface level and boundary level.  You can definitely ‘pull’ water out of the model using this method.  However, as you are setting a water level you are not controlling the flow volumes out of the model, rather these will be calculated based on the specified water level.

It might be more appropriate to use a high infiltration rate to simulate this instead.  An initial or continuing loss rate can be specified as a soil infiltration.  This can be used to control the amount of water leaving the model (for a cell size area you work easily work out the infiltration rate (mm/hr) which corresponds to a specified flow rate. This may be better to your application.

There is also a new (and as yet undocumented) GPU feature that allows you to specify a stage-flow or depth-flow relationship to the 2D cells.  This can be used to remove water from the model or to transfer to another 2D cell.  If you think this might work for you, let us know and we can give you some instruction on using this!

Hi there Rachel!  Thanks for the reply!!!! Yes I would really like to know of the transfer procedure.  My objective is to replicate the transfer of 1% AEP volumes from a low point into a swale elsewhere in the model.  the underground pipe has been designed in DRAINS, but I would like to estimate the reduction in flood depth using a method within the GPU module and avoid having to incorporate a 1d network then adopt the CPU module.

Hi

The depth-flow (SD) and level-flow (SH) boundaries mentioned earlier can be implement as per the attached files.  This is largely the same process as outlined here:

http://wiki.tuflow.com/index.php?title=Tutorial_Module14

The new SD layer can now also be used.

This boundary type is valid for both TUFLOW "classic" (CPU) and the TUFLOW GPU module.

Cheers

Phil

sd_sh_files.zip

Hi Phil,

My first posting here.

Was just wondering what attributes need to be selected when considering depth-flow (SD). I cant seem to download the zipped shape file above.

Selecting the type as 'SD' for the 'pump' point and connecting via an SC line doesnt seem to connect the cells? The check layer indicates my 'pump' connects to the grid - but no connection at the outlet (end of the SC line).

Kind Regards

ta007