TUFLOW Forum

2015 TUFLOW Manual - Cover Hyperlinks  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the hyperlinks on the 2010 TUFLOW manual cover?

The 2015 manual is progressing apace but we have met a topic which sparks deep division in the office and requires the input of the greater TUFLOW user community.

Do you use the hyperlinks on the front cover or are they no longer relevant?

The two groups are agitating for a clean and fresh cover versus practical one click linking.

We are planning on releasing the manual in the next couple of months as both word and pdf documents, both of which will have navigable headings and internal links throughout the document

Please share you view with the poll in the post.

I answered "yes" but really I only use one of the links - table of contents. I have never been able to understand why there is a Contents page and then a Table of Contents, and then a Chapters page!! If it was easier to get straight to the Table of Contents without the need to scroll through so many pages it would be possible perhaps to remove the links from the cover.

I have always wished the manual was online so that you could more easily navigate around the document, similar to a web page - especially using the back and forwards buttons.  For example, in a word document if you use an internal hyperlink to navigate to a related topic, there is no way of simply navigating back to the original topic without searching in the contents or the sidebar.

Online would be my ideal outcome!

I use the hyper-links on the cover all the time. It's a fast way to get to specific parts of the document without having to go via the table of contents. By virtue of it being of the cover, I can hit ctrl home on the keyboard and be at that cover page very quickly...

I do use the hyperlinks on the 1st page, but wouldn't mind if we dropped them to a later page.

I have always wished the manual was online so that you could more easily navigate around the document, similar to a web page - especially using the back and forwards buttons.  For example, in a word document if you use an internal hyperlink to navigate to a related topic, there is no way of simply navigating back to the original topic without searching in the contents or the sidebar.

I totally agree!

For example, in a word document if you use an internal hyperlink to navigate to a related topic, there is no way of simply navigating back to the original topic without searching in the contents or the sidebar.

In a word document Alt + the left arrow will navigate back and Alt + the right arrow will navigate forward.  It is great for a hyperlinked document.

Cheers

Phil

In addition to Phil's suggestion, you can add "Back" , "Forward" and "Home" buttons to Word by heading to the "Customise Quick Access Toolbar" section. I've found these invaluable for navigating the TUFLOW Manual. 

In addition to Phil's suggestion, you can add "Back" , "Forward" and "Home" buttons to Word by heading to the "Customise Quick Access Toolbar" section. I've found these invaluable for navigating the TUFLOW Manual. 

That's fantastic Stephanie, I have to admit I did not realise Word had these functions.  Learning so much about Word today!!

I use the hyperlinks on the current document for the list of tables and list of figures. However I would love to see the list of tables and list of figures as a chapter headings in the document then there would be no need for hyper-linking on the front page. 

Would be great to have an online version of the document as well :)

Totally agree with stormwater01.

I personally don't use them as I always use search. But it wouldn't be a bad idea if you put them on the next page or in the table of contents or something.

I agree with stormwater01 - too many contents / links pages scattered around at the front of the document. I tend to do a CTRL+F search to find the link I need within the "Table of Contents" page.

I don't think it wouldn't be too much hassle for us to scroll down 1-2 pages each time we open the document to see a single table (the current "Table of Contents") containing the links we need. You could also "hide" a link to this page as the TUFLOW logo on the front page.

***Sorry, I didn't realize someone had already provided this advice.

FYI - At least in Word 2010 there is an easy way to add the ability to go back easily. At the very top of the screen there are some little icons representing the "quick access toolbar". The button on the furthest right is a menu that you can use to customize the options that are seen. Choose the "more commands" option that brings up a dialog. In the dialog, under "choose commands from" change it to "All commands". Then scroll down and select "Back". Add this to the toolbar and you have the primary functionality you are interested in. I'm not saying this is superior to online but I find this very handy when using the TUFLOW manual.

I hope this helps.

I have to say I DO think it would be a hassle for us to scroll down 1-2 pages each time we open the document! The front cover is nice to look at the first time or two, but really when I open it I'm looking for functionality, not prettiness. I particularly appreciate the links to the appendices and the links to the lists of tables. As was said before, the more links the better really, until such point as you can't find what you're looking for; the current cover is pretty good in that respect.

Really looking forward to the long awaited new manual! :)

The great thing about having links on the cover is that <ctrl> Home takes you straight to them from anywhere in the document!

Another tip on Word navigation:

You can open a second instance of the same document by selecting View > New Window from the menus.  This allows you to have the document open at different sections, for example a TUFLOW command appendix as well as the chapter describing this.  I find it very useful not only for the TUFLOW manual but also report writing in general!

Hi,

We are planning on releasing the new manual to coincide with the 2015 version of TUFLOW, this has a planned release for August/September.  The release will also include the new GIS plotting routines including a QGIS plugin.

Regards

Phil