TUFLOW Forum
sam_p

TUFLOW results viewing

Hi all,

I am having trouble viewing large output files. I have SMS, MapInfo, Arc, WaterRide and Global Mapper and a pretty hefty PC at my disposal.

I was wondering what program(s) and file formats the guys at BMT WBM use to view their output files?

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,

It really depends on what you are trying to do (i.e. what do you want to display). A nifty tool that I sometimes use to look at the results is the TUFLOW plugin for QGIS. Both are freeware.

Regards,

Franciscus Maas

Opus International Consultants Ltd

New Zealand

Hi Sam,

I personally use a mix of the above for viewing TUFLOW results.  When you say large output files, how many 2D cells does the model have and how large are the individual files that you are working with?  Are you just trying to view static surfaces or look at time-varying results?  Are you having specific programs close or crash, or is it just slow?

Cheers

Phil

Thanks for your response guys.

To answer your questions Phil:

• no of cells 4,660,629 and the xmdf file comes in at 13gb
  • both static and time varying
  • SMS crashes often and is painfully slow, others are just painfully slow

It likely that I am doing something wrong and will figure it with trial and error.

Will give the QGIS tuflow plugin a crack.

Cheers

For really large models, I use the raster output with ArcGIS and it generally works well. When using SMS with really large models, make sure you run the 64-bit version and consider purchasing additional RAM if you are maxing out the available RAM.