TUFLOW Forum
Anonymous

Error Loading restart file? (Posted pre 2007)

I tried using a restart files as initial water tables, but for some reason I get the following error message:

"ERROR - or end of file whilst reading .erf file Number of 1D nodes/channels has most likely changed."

I first ran a simulation with start time 0 and end time 1 h and wrote a restart file at 1h. The new simulation started at 1 h and should use the restart file created. I have only one 2d-domain in my model with no 1d/2d-Link. Why does TUFLOW ask for an erf file when I have no 1d in my model?

I suspect your problem is a bug that one of my colleagues has just informed me of. The bug occurs when you have a 2D only model that uses either the new 2D QT boundary or 2D-2D linking. Both of these utilise 1D nodes (hidden to the user), hence the need to have a .erf file.

The work around is to create a dummy 1D model (a single weir with no boundaries works fine), unconnected to the 2D model. This will involve creating a .ecf file, etc. I hope to look into this bug shortly

I've also had this problem and was able to fix it by editing the .erf file. If you compare an .erf from a 1d-2d model (where the restart files work) you see that each 1d node needs initial conditions for both level and velocity. In the 2d-only model only head levels for each of the "nodes" are created. By copying the head nodes below under a velocity heading and then setting all the values to 0 the model should run. However, it is probably easier to just create a dummy 1d network as previously suggested.