TUFLOW Forum

Hi,

We have noticed that with the 2016-03-AA Build of TUFLOW, models will crash without an error. This is particularly frustrating when the crash occurs before the log file is written.

Is there a way to keep the command window up to see what went wrong?

Regards,

Francis

Hi Francis,

Hi Francis,

I wonder if your crashes are related to this:

? It all just goes away when the model gets finishes initialising and starts trying to run.

However, to answer your question, if you run the simulation manually in a command window, it will stay there for you.

To get a command window, hit the start menu, type "cmd" and press [enter] (or click with the mouse on the "command prompt" program). In here you'll need to construct the full command to run TUFLOW, something like:

"c:\TUFLOW\bin\TUFLOW_iDP_w64.exe m:\your\folder\structure\yourControlFile.tcf"

noting that you'll need to include the full, correct paths to both the TUFLOW executable (which could be installed just about anywhere) and your .TCF (which in the example above is on another drive) unless you change directory to the folder where your control file is. And you may also have fancy things for events or scenarios, but if you do, you probably don't need me to tell you about them.

Hope that helps. Let me know if it doesn't make enough sense.

PHA.

As an aside, the manual refers to this in section 11.5.2, where it's bullet-point 4 in the set of options for running a simulation. It then refers the reader to the wiki saying that all the methods are described there; regrettably all the other methods are described there, but not this one, which is the only one which will preserve the window once the runs die! If a dev reads this, please take it as a request to update that page, thanks! :)

Thanks Peter.

Our preferred method is to manage our runs in TRIM software. I might check with the guys at Catchment Sim and see if the issue is due how the TRIM software interacts with the new build.

An example of a recent issue causing the crash was a mistake in a line of code when using variable <<~s1>> in a new model. I had inadvertently included an extra '<' (i.e. <<<~s1~>>).  Build 2016 just crashed straight away, and as it hadn't reached the line of code relating to the Log File path, there was no log file to open to find out why the model wouldn't start. To resolve  - rather than searching through lines of code, I ran it in Build 2013 (even though it still crashed) and the TUFLOW run dialogue window told me straight away what the error was. Once this was sorted - I could then run in 2016.

A similar issue occurs if the TUFLOW model build in the .tcf is different to the one we are calling up in TRIM.

Regards,

Hi Francis,

Let us know how you get on with TRIM and seeing if the error is any different in 2016 or without the TRIM run manager.

If you need more help, feel free to send us an email through to support@tuflow.com.

(PHA: noted and corrected here :) )

Regards,

Rachel

Hi Rachel and Peter,

We found that removing the -b switch kept the window up, which is okay when running models manually. Thanks.

However, we prefer to manage the our runs in TRIM where possible.

We have found the best workaround for us for the time being is to run the model in an earlier build of TUFLOW until you have a model that at least runs to the point of writing the log file, and then run it in the 2016 build from there.

We have had similar 2016 crash  with '..unable to complete triangulation' issues. 2016 build just closes , but 2013 build tells you what's wrong so you can bring the 2d_sh_obj_check.mif file and fix the problem.

Thanks for your advice. Hopefully the next build resolves this issue.

Kind regards,

Francis