TUFLOW Forum
dsheehy

Crayfish Plugin - Issues loading large XMDF result files

Recently I've bumped into an issue with Crayfish being unable to load large XMDF result files. When result files exceed some unknown threshold of either number of cells or file size, the Crayfish plugin is unable to load the file.

I've spoken to the good people at Lutra Consulting who developed the plugin and while they are aware of the issue, the plugin has taken on a life of its own and they can't continue to maintain and trouble-shoot it for everyone. This got me wondering:

1. Has anyone else come across this issue? If so, what have you found out about the limits and possible solutions / work-arounds?

2. Would there be interest from other users in pulling together a consortium to co-fund support and development of Crayfish into the future? Alternatively, a consortium could be assembled to fund the resolution of this specific issue only.

3. Are there plans for TUFLOW to expand their current QGIS plugin to offer more of the functionality of Crayfish? If not, would there be interest in leading and supporting a consortium?

ds.

Hi dsheehy, 

Out of interest, how big are the result files you're trying to open up?

We think Crayfish is a great product and are certainly interested to explore options to help out the Lutra team.

At the moment we haven't planned on expanding TuPlot to read in 2D results, mainly because Crayfish has proven itself an excellent plugin for these purposes.

Can you send us an email @ support@tuflow.com and we'll get in touch to discuss further. 

Cheers, Mitch.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has overcome the issue of large file sizes in Crayfish? I've got a 4.5 Gb file that caused crayfish to crash.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

Apologies for the belated reply.

The short answer is no, not yet. If Crayfish can't open it as an .XMDF file, you might want to try a .DAT file.

ds.