TUFLOW Forum
sunita kumari

Materials error

Hi Sunita,

The error could be caused by an empty or corrupted materials.csv file. Just double check the materials.csv file has data in it, or hasn't been corrupted.

If it's still not working try downloading the tutorial again from the TUFLOW wiki, or send through the materials.csv file and tlf again and i will have a look.

Please let me know how it all goes.

Thanks,

Ellis

Hey Sunita, are you able to send through the .tlf file. And if you're using the GPU solver, the .gpu.tlf as well. I will have a look and get back to you. Is this a different model to your previous query?

Ellis

Hi Sunita,

I've taken a look at your model logs. 

The .gpu.tlf states that your GPU card does not have enough memory to run this model (refer to the figure below).

There are a few ways to fix this issue. If possible, you can run the model as is on a different computer or GPU card which has enough memory

If this is not an option, you will need to alter how you are running the model:

• Store fewer maximum fields - reduce the number of variables you are outputting with the Map Output Data Types command
  • Reduce the model domain  - look at the 2d_dom check file in relation to your 2d_code layer and make sure that the domain is as small as it can be to include your code. This may mean changing your 2d_loc line and  Grid Size (X,Y) command. Make sure your 2d_code layer is a small as it can be to contain your modelled results.
  • Increase your cell size  - if the above two have not helped, then increasing the cell size will reduce the amount of RAM required

I hope that helps, please let me know if you need more information or ideas to reduce the required RAM.

GPUCheck.PNG

Hey Sunita,

You can find information on your error on the TUFLOW wiki here (there is actually a database of errors on the TUFLOW wiki which you can use to help troubleshoot your model). 

Essentially you need to double check the projection of your input files are consistent with the set projection in the tcf. In this case the error looks to be caused by 2d_zsh_Roads_001_L.SHP, but i suggest checking all your input files.

One thing to note is that different GIS programs will write projections files differently e.g. ArcGIS and QGIS both use shp files but write their projections differently. If you're creating shp files using both programs, even though the files are in the same projection, TUFLOW may throw up this error. It's good to stick to one GIS program when setting up your TUFLOW model.

If you don't mind Sunita, if you have any further queries, it would be good to continue this conversation through support@tuflow.com. Please don't hesitate to email through any further queries.

Thanks,

Ellis

Hi Sunita,

An unstable model can be caused by a number of different factors such as the physical properties of your model setup (terrain, roughness), or boundary configuration (downstream boundary, 1d/2d linking), among other reasons.

However having a look at your .tlf file I would suggest that your instabilities are being caused by your large 2D timestep, currently set at 60 seconds. The TUFLOW 2016 manual (which can be downloaded from tuflow.com here) gives some advice on recommended timesteps...

From Section 3.4 "As a general rule, the timestep (in seconds) is typically in the range of 1/2  to 1/5 of the cell size (in metres)."

I believe your model has a grid cell size of 50 metres. So your selected 2D timestep should therefore be between 10 seconds and 25 seconds. I recommend starting at the upper range of the recommended timestep (25 seconds) and if you still experience instabilities decrease your timestep until your model is stable. If your model is still unstable when using the lower recommended timestep (10 seconds) let me know and we will investigate other causes for your instability.

Ellis