TUFLOW Forum
cardno

Viewing 1D Channel in 3D View in SMS

When viewing the results of a 1D/2D Tuflow model in SMS with the 3D viewer, the 1D channel is shown as being elevated well above the 2D domain. Is there a way to make the 1D channel sit in the correct position, when viewed in 3D?

This is because the ground elevations of all 1D elements mapped using 1D WLLs are elevated by 10m so that they appear on top of the 2D results when viewing in SMS. This is primarily done as SMS displays information based on the Z (ground elevation) values of the 1D and 2D elements, so to view the 1D WLL output more clearly, especially for underground elements such as pipes/culverts.

We can add an option to TUFLOW or to one of the utility programs (eg. TUFLOW_to_GIS) to reset the 1D elevations in the .2dm file so that 10m is not added if you like - please advise.

To create nice looking 3D views/animations of flooding, use the Functional Surface option rather than Contours on the 2D Mesh Display Options tab. This feature allows you to display your contours draped over a different 3D surface (usually the water level surface) rather than the ground elevation surface (which has the added problem of the 10m added to 1D ground elevations). This gives a nicer image because if you drape over the ground elevations it looks like the water goes up and down with the shape of the land, while if draped over the water surface, it looks much more realistic. It also won't have the problem of the 1D results appearing 10m higher than the 2D results. SMS 10.0 does this particularly well and has added functionality for the Functional Surface option, has much improved draping of aerial photos in 3D, and is faster.

I was experimenting with functional surface in SMS and it looks great. I would like this option in TUFLOW though. i.e. for the 1d_wll derived output to be in correct elevation. With reference to the attached image, when I turn on the texture map, if you look closely, whilst the 1d_output is now at the correct elevation, the aerial photo is super-elevated. I presume this is because .2dm is super-elevated.

post-2137-1298973114_thumb.jpg

Hi Justin (and Cardno),

This option has now been added to TUFLOW; the command is "WLL Vertical Offset == [ <dZ> | {10} ]" so if omitted, it will still default to an offset of 10m, but if you specify "WLL Vertical Offset == 0" your 1D will not be raised at all. This command goes in your .ECF file. Glad you're enjoying the functional surfaces! Much prettier for 3D views in SMS.

PHA.

Thanks Peter!

The other tip is that you don't need to re-run your simulation(s). Just regenerate your .2dm file, which is written just before the simulation starts, with WLL Vertical Offset set to the new value. You may want to use a temporary copy of the .tcf file so as to not write over existing results. Drag the new .2dm file into SMS and then drag or open the .dat or .xmdf files you wish to view.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Justin (and Cardno),

This option has now been added to TUFLOW; the command is "WLL Vertical Offset == [ <dZ> | {10} ]" so if omitted, it will still default to an offset of 10m, but if you specify "WLL Vertical Offset == 0" your 1D will not be raised at all. This command goes in your .ECF file. Glad you're enjoying the functional surfaces! Much prettier for 3D views in SMS.

PHA.

Hi there - I'm just wondering if there is a similar command for resetting the WLL offset when linking to an ISIS 1D model?

Cheers

Rob.

Hi,

I believe the same command will do the job for ISIS WLLs too. The difficulty comes if you don't have an .ECF to put the command into! Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any current work around for this, except to make an .ECF with a bit of dummy channel not connected to anything out of the way somewhere...

See this topic http://www.tuflow.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=662

This isn't the only 1D thing that can happen without an .ECF (2d-2d links for example, may have their timestep set independently of any 2D domains by specifying a 1D timestep). Might the option for having 1D commands (i.e. traditional .ECF commands) without an ESTRY channel be forthcoming sometime Bill?

Hi,

I believe the same command will do the job for ISIS WLLs too. The difficulty comes if you don't have an .ECF to put the command into! Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any current work around for this, except to make an .ECF with a bit of dummy channel not connected to anything out of the way somewhere...

See this topic http://www.tuflow.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=662

This isn't the only 1D thing that can happen without an .ECF (2d-2d links for example, may have their timestep set independently of any 2D domains by specifying a 1D timestep). Might the option for having 1D commands (i.e. traditional .ECF commands) without an ESTRY channel be forthcoming sometime Bill?

Thanks Peter - that brought the channel back to earth.

However, at certain locations I am getting 'spikes' in the bank-top of the channel (see attached pic). I don’t suppose you know what could be causing these? My ISIS sections do not have elevations as high as these nor do my zlines, and the resulting water surface does not seem to relate to them either.

Thanks again

Rob.

post-2699-0-44802500-1315320745_thumb.jp

post-2699-0-98706100-1315320777_thumb.jp

Hi Rob,

Would I be correct in guessing that the locations with the bad elevations are where you have interpolate units in your ISIS model? Normally, TUFLOW gets a conveyance table and info about the high points in the section data and figures out it's own thing in terms of WLLs in relation to that data. Where there are interpolates however, there is no "top of section" data, as ISIS just interpolates the conveyance tables, so TUFLOW only has the data in the interpolated conveyance tables from which to derive the WLL elevations. Hence your WLL elevations where there are interpolates will extend to approximately 'dflood' (an ISIS parameter; how far above section data ISIS calculates the conveyance properties) above bank height.

Does that make sense?

It is only a visual thing, so won't have any bearing on your results, just mess up your animations(!). If that is of concern to you, there is the option of snapping elevation points along your WLLs, and it will use these and ignore the available data from the 1D model. If you have bank heights set in your 2D then your probably most of the way there for WLL elevation points.

Good luck then!

Oh... And if they're NOT where you've got interpolates, the WLL elevation points will still work, but I'd also be interested to know what's going on there to cause this. Let us know!

Thanks again for the help

Unfortunatley there are no iterpolates within the ISIS model - although I have made a mental note of this issue for future projects!

Instead I followed your suggestion of using the xWLLp check file to generate a WLL points file, which has worked a treat.

Cheers

Rob.