TUFLOW Forum
cfrk

Sending model/files - good system?

Has anyone developed a quick system for selecting files associated with a model i.e. to burn to a CD if I'm sending the model to a 3rd party?

I have 6 separate runs I need to send, all with different control files and .tab layer versions etc. At present I am having to go through all the control files and then manually select the Mapinfo layers referred to - quite time consuming and occasionally results in missing files. I don't want to send my whole folder structure as it is very large with a lot of older intermediate versions etc that no one else is interested in.

Would be great to have some type of utility that does this automatically, although not being a programmer I don't know if it's feasible?

Cheers

Richard

Richard

Use the copy function in Tuflow (..\tuflow.exe -c) this will copy all files referenced by the run.

This function creates a zip file which can be sent to a third party and will allow them to run the files on there system

Each of the six run your need a separate zip file can be created.

Hope this helps

David

Hi Richard,

There is indeed already a facility to copy specific model runs (the various control files and georeferenced inputs etc).

The main TUFLOW executable has an option to run through the model setup and copy all the files it reads into a mirrored file structure (so there'll be a runs folder and a model folder etc. if you use the standard folder structure).

This is detailed in section 5.3 of the 2008 manual.

The gist is as follows:

"

TUFLOW.exe has several switches or options used to control how TUFLOW functions. Switches are prefixed by a “-”, and are usually placed between TUFLOW.exe and the .tcf filename.

For example, to copy a model, use a line such as the below with whatever method you use to run TUFLOW simulations (batch file or right click options for example):

“C:\Program Files\Tuflow\Tuflow.exe” -c “My Model.tcf”

This creates a folder “<.tcf filename>_copy” in the same location as the .tcf file. Under the folder all input files are copied (including the full folder structure), and any check files and output folders created.

"

Note however, that this will only copy files that TUFLOW actually reads. As such, it will copy the .MIF/.MID files for you, but NOT the associated .TAB/.MAP/.ID/.DAT MapInfo files for example. As a side note to Bill, it'd be nice if there was a further option flag that copied all files which had matching names except the file extension (so if Elevations.MIF was read, TUFLOW would copy Elevations.*); that'd make life easier.

This means then, that you either need to go through and manually copy these associated files into the model copy (but at least you now have an exhaustive list of the necessary files to work through) or add a command to the .TCF to tell it not to check the save date of georeferenced files (the command for which is "Check MI Save Date == [ {ERROR} | WARNING | OFF ]" and should be set to off.

If you have six models, these will be copied into six separate folder structures, but these can then easily be merged if desired by dragging and dropping the contents of the primary folders into one separate folder within explorer.

I hope that all makes sense and helps!

Hi Bill,

I've just encountered the problem noted in the manual where the folder name is too long to create a copy of my model. So I'm having to first copy my Tuflow folder structure to a point higher up the folder tree and then run the -c command. It would be good to have the option to specify the location the copied files will go to, to avoid this problem. Also, as I have several runs to copy, which use many of the same layers, it would be nice if I could batch these, and have all runs copied to the same folder to avoid duplicating layers, especially on larger models.

Cheers

Richard