TUFLOW Forum
paul_ollett

3D dxf to mid/mif or tab

Hi there,

I'm trying to bring a 3D dxf (with elevation attributes) into Mapinfo. No matter how I do this (Universal Translator, Table | Import dxf, or in 12D export to mid/mif), the elevation attribute is always dropped off.

Does anyone know of an alternative method to do this?

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

When you import the 3D dxf, there should a a box to tick to save the elevations of points. There is a options button, click that and then tick the "store elevations" box. This should work. It might also be necessary to tick the "preserve attribute data" aswell.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Paul

In 12d, convert the strings to 3d strings, then export as a 12da file. Use the '12da_to_from_mif.exe' utility to convert the 12da file to MI format. When you load into MI, you'll have a table with lines and points at each vertex. The points will have the elevation as an attribute.

Give me a call if you can't get working.

Cheers, Ben Caddis

Ben2

Wow! If only I'd read the manual from cover to cover! That's a very useful tool. I've been writing a DXF from 12d and using that DXF twice. Once with Universal Translator to give me a MI table of polylines. Once with a crude macro I wrote for Ultraedit that converts the DXF file into a CSV file of all the points. Then I have to open the CSV file in MI and save it as a MI table. Glad this came up in the forum.

T

Words of wisdom from our GIS/CAD Guru:

There is always a way, just have to stuff about a bit sometimes.

In 12D, going to MapInfo mostly works as mid/mif or tab. When exporting from 12D ensure column is set as elevation (via the Map button).

Some other options:

Assuming they have AutoCAD, check that data is contour/spot and not breaklines, if so, save as different versions of .dxf i.e R2000, try importing, save a Acad.dwg, try importing,

Similar things can be done via Microstation.

Hi there

Just thought I'd bump this thread as I'm having issues importing alignment information from 12d into Mapinfo to creates zlines representing a highway embankment across a floodplain. I can be considered as a novice to TUFLOW, Mapinfo as well as 12d, so detailed instructions would be most appreciated. I've looked at the comments in this thread and despite what I do, elevations are not carried over. I've tried:

- using Tools>Universal Translator (direct conversion from DXF into a TAB file), gives me the polylines and vertices in Mapinfo as under UTranslator.jpg BUT elevation remains as zero (dxf confirms to have 3D elevation)

- using Table>Import (dxf source) with 'Preserve Attribute Data' and 'Store Elevations' ticked as per recommendations in this thread. I get a DXF Import Warning saying 'no attibutes found' (screenshot attached as Error Msg.bmp). The result in Mapinfo is as per the UTranslator.jpg but missing the vertices

The only option I've found which worked using a dxf export from 12d is to convert the dxf into an ASCII text file (using the free software mentioned in this thread) and then open it in Mapinfo as an ASCII (using File>Open) which opens the x,y,z info within a browser window. From here I then use Table>Create Points to turn it into a TAB file. This leaves me with just points which I then copy into the _2d_zline* layer and I rearrange the Table Structure to suit. It works but awfully time consuming.

I've also tried exporting the 12d data into a 12da file and using the 12da_to_from_mif. exe utility. No matter what I do, I always get an error and it refuses to complete. We're using 12d v9 here.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or missing some bits. Can anyone assist please? Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Hoy

post-2720-1280882641_thumb.jpg

Error_Msg.bmp

Hi all

No responses? Maybe I'm asking my question wrong.

How do you all experts bring in design information directly from 12d? What's your proven way to bring in string lines and point elevations without having to fiddle with the information much? Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but no one in my organisation knows TUFLOW/MAPINFO very well. So the forum is my best option.

Thanks for any responses.