TUFLOW Forum
cfrk

z shapes - gully option

Hi All,

I am trying to use a z shape (polyline) to model a ditch which is approximately the width of my 2D cell size (5m), using points in a separate _pts layer snapped to the ends of the polyline. As far as I can tell all I need to do is specifiy MIN (or GULLY or LOWER) in the Shape_Options attribute and this should lower a line of cells (including the centre and side z points). This only seems to lower a thin line of cell sides however.

I've also tried specifying the Shape_width_or_d_max attribute as 5m (i.e. less than 1.5 times the cell size) which should output a thick line, however I get the same result.

Am I doing something wrong here? I'm using the latest (2009-07-AD) build.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Richard

Richard

Me and my colleagues have found the same problem. I think it must be a bug in TUFLOW?

The only ways we have found of getting round it is by specifying the width to be wider than 1.5 times grid size, ie. grid of 5 m set Shape_Width equal to 8. This then produces a WIDE line, which isnt ideal but seems the best option when using a Zsh.

Otherwise just revert to using a Zln using the THICK and GULLY options.

Gillian

I suspect that this is not a bug but rather the "THICK" z line option is not available for Min/Gully lines.

From the TUFLOW manual under Read MI Zline:

The GULLY option should not be seen as a method to accurately define the shape of a waterway.

The keyword MIN can be substituted for GULLY. Note: The THICK option is not available with the GULLY option.

We'll look into whether there is a bug in the sense that the GULLY option for a thin or thick line (ie. Shape_width_or_d_max is less than 1.5 times the cell size) in a 2d_zsh layer is adjusting the ZU, ZV and ZH points rather than the ZU, ZV and ZC points. It should still work for the old Read MI Z Line GULLY == command.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Richard and Gillian

We can't reproduce this "bug" at our end. Double check that you have specified the MIN (or GULLY or LOWER) keyword in the Shape_Options attribute for the line (not the points). If the problem still exists can you please email to support@tuflow.com your .tcf and .tgc files, any 2d_loc .mif/.mid files and the 2d_zsh .mif/.mid files.

Thanks

Bill