TUFLOW Forum
cfrk

PO lines - effect on model results

Hi,

I am working on a very large model and I am getting some strange effects. The original model runs through OK, and takes about 15-20 hours of computer run time.

I subsequently added a few PO lines to part of the floodplain, which somehow caused some excessive oscillations upstream of my area of interest, sending a large flood wave through the model well after the flood peak.

I wouldn't have thought adding PO lines could cause such a problem, as they merely extract additional data from the model? The only thing I can think that might be happening is that calculations are going astray due to the additional strain on the processor from writing outputs. Is this likely / possible?

Many thanks

Richard

Hi Richard

Apologies for the slow response. Adding PO lines shouldn't make any difference to your simulation results. Which TUFLOW build are you using?

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm using 2009-07-AD (not the latest release but I'm keeping things consistent across model runs). The model is quite large (4 separate watercourses, roughly 24 hour run time) and was built by others - we are only interested in a small section of one of the rivers.

We are trying to add proposed developments (in the form of a raised development plateau as well as the conversion of a culverted section of watercourse to open channel) - when I made these changes to the original model it went unstable at a location well away from the development. Rather than start trying to fix problems in the wider model, it seemed simpler to crop the model to our area of interest - hence the addition of PO lines to use as inflows for a cropped version of the model.

So the only change I made was to add PO lines to the original model, which caused the flood wave to occur...? Something to do with rounding up/down when writing outputs maybe?

It's a very large model so will be a bit of pain to try to send unfortunately! I've done a bit of a estimating and interpolation in the meantime to get inflows without the flood wave, so have side-stepped the problem, but would be good to clear up why this is happening...

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard

Very strange! If you have them, can you send through the .tlf files for both scenarios (with and without PO lines) to support@tuflow.com and we'll see if there are any clues.

Thanks

Bill