TUFLOW Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tmashby

Find maximum value (depth, velocity etc.) between two times

Hi,

I would like to be able to get the maximum result between two times during the simulation (for example between 2 hours and 5 hours after the model has started) as opposed to the maximum for the whole simulation. Is this possible using the post-processing tools currently available?

I can see that it would be possible by creating a dat file for each individual time between the two specified and then getting the maximum result from a comparison of these, but I'd hope there is an easier (and more elegant) way of doing it!

Cheers

Tom

Hi,

I would like to be able to get the maximum result between two times during the simulation (for example between 2 hours and 5 hours after the model has started) as opposed to the maximum for the whole simulation. Is this possible using the post-processing tools currently available?

I can see that it would be possible by creating a dat file for each individual time between the two specified and then getting the maximum result from a comparison of these, but I'd hope there is an easier (and more elegant) way of doing it!

Cheers

Tom

The .dat files contain results written throughout the entire simulation. You can extract results at t=2h and t=5h to .asc using TUFLOW_to_GIS, import using Vertical Mapper and then use the grid splicer to derive a grid with the max results of the 2h and 5h grids.

The .dat files contain results written throughout the entire simulation. You can extract results at t=2h and t=5h to .asc using TUFLOW_to_GIS, import using Vertical Mapper and then use the grid splicer to derive a grid with the max results of the 2h and 5h grids.

Thanks for the reply, but to clarify things, in the example times I used I would like to get the maximum of every time between 2 and 5 hours, which at 5 minute output intervals would be 36 sets of results. The actual model I am using would be far more than this.

Hi Tom,

The only way i can thing of doing this is using the dat_to_dat executable. You can specify the timesteps to use, and only specify one .dat file. You batch file or command line would look something like this:

dat_to_dat.exe -max -t2.0 -t2.25 -t2.5 Toms_run_001_h.dat

Obviously you would need more timesteps in your command line. You should get out a new .dat file that you can use Tuflow_to_gis on to export to Mapinfo. The max value will be stored at time 111111 in your new .dat file, the source file is stored at time 222222 (however with only one inputted source file these should all be 1!).

Let us know if this works for you (or you work out an alternative).

Cheers

Phillip

What about just running up to t=5h (with the command "start map output (h) == 2") then extracting the max from that run? If there aren't any problems with rerunning the model.

Hi Tom,

The only way i can thing of doing this is using the dat_to_dat executable. You can specify the timesteps to use, and only specify one .dat file. You batch file or command line would look something like this:

dat_to_dat.exe -max -t2.0 -t2.25 -t2.5 Toms_run_001_h.dat

Obviously you would need more timesteps in your command line. You should get out a new .dat file that you can use Tuflow_to_gis on to export to Mapinfo. The max value will be stored at time 111111 in your new .dat file, the source file is stored at time 222222 (however with only one inputted source file these should all be 1!).

Let us know if this works for you (or you work out an alternative).

Cheers

Phillip

Thanks Phillip, I will give that a try, should be easy enough to produce that command line automatically. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Tom

What about just running up to t=5h (with the command "start map output (h) == 2") then extracting the max from that run? If there aren't any problems with rerunning the model.

That is a good suggestion and I will bear it in mind for future runs. Unfortunately the model takes a very long time to run, so redoing them isn't the best option.

Thanks

Tom

You can easily do this using ISIS Mapper. Load the tuflow model result into ISIS Mapper and use 2D flood calculator to export Max values between two time.

I only saw this thread today!

Cheers,

Yong

That is a good suggestion and I will bear it in mind for future runs. Unfortunately the model takes a very long time to run, so redoing them isn't the best option.

Thanks

Tom