TUFLOW Forum
David Crompton

Batch Printing MI Workspaces

Hi all

I know that this is not necessarily a TUFLOW related question but I was worrying if anyone knows how to batch print over 200 MI workspaces to pdf.

We have a project that we have developed over 200 maps for from our Tuflow modeling and we need to print them all to pdf.

The workspace name is the name we want as the pdf name, so does any know a fast way of printing a large number of workspaces.

Is there a mapbasic routine that I could you.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks

David

Hi David,

You could try MultiPrint from SGSI: http://www.sgsi.com/Prod_Soft_MultiPrint_SGSI.asp It's not free but should do the job.

There is also another one called BatchMapper, which is free, but all the links I have to it no longer work (http://www.lpuc.net/batchmapper.html). I haven't had a need for it to date so haven't downloaded it; has anyone else got a copy they care to post on the forum?

HTH.

Cheers,

Mick

not the best way, but

you could try setting the PDF printer as your default printer, with the page setting correct etc.

Then select all the MI workspaces and right-click - PRINT. (suggest doing in small batches to test)

Or...you can set up a web mapping service. see geo-server...mapserver...mapfish....qgis-mapserver...to name a few. All Free and Open Source.

Hi David,

Thanks, I'm considering getting a copy of that then.

Are you able to select specific layouts/map windows or does it do a blanket print on anything inside the workspace?

Cheers,

Danny

EDIT: I'm purchasing a copy of it to help me do the batch mapping. Hopefully it does what I need.

Hi Danny

If you save your layout as Workspaces then the software is quite nice,it renamed your Layout window to the same name as the workspace, prints out the layout window only straight to your printer or PDF.

Thnaks David

Hi David,

Thanks for your advice.

I had 4 workspaces, with 36 maps each, for a total of 144 maps. If I had printed the maps manually, I think it would've take around 4 hours, with each map taking on average 2 minutes. Using Multiprint, it took about 1.5 hr to print all of the maps, whilst allowing me to focus on other things.

It's important to use a PDF printer, such as PDF Creator, which allows for autosaving which means you can batch the prints.

Cheers,

Danny