TUFLOW Forum
par

New TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe (2011-05-AA)

A new version of the TUFLOW to GIS utility is available for download from www.tuflow.com or via the link below.

TUFLOW_to_GIS (2011-05-AA)

The major change is the inclusion of the XMDF output format. However, there are also a number of other changes, listed below.

If using the XMDF output format, all results are stored in a single .xmdf file. A dataset to be converted will need to be specified, this can be done with a -type<output type> flag.

For example:

TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe -asc -typeh -t99999 M01_5m_004_xmdf.xmdf

Will give you the max water surface.

TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe -vector -mif -typev -t3 M01_5m_004_xmdf.xmdf

Will give you vector outputs of velocity at time 3. The type should be as it appears in the .tcf (h, v, d, q etc). If no output type is specified, you will be prompted to input a type.

Other Changes

Long dashes (–), short dashes (-) and forward slashes can all be used: -asc –asc and /asc will all be recognised.

-max, -min and -tmax can be used instead of -t99999, -t-99999 and -t99999.1 respectively.

Removing grid size from file name:

-sgs flag can be used to Supress Grid Size in the output file name. For example:

TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe -asc -t99999 M01_5m_004_h.dat

Will give a file name:

M01_5m_004_h_g001.25_Max.asc

TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe -asc -sgs -t99999 M01_5m_004_h.dat

M01_5m_004_h_Max.asc

Options for setting the output filename:

-out <output file name, with no extension>

E.g.

TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe -asc -out output_filename -t99999 M01_5m_004_h.dat

XMDF FORMAT

The .xmdf format has the following advantages:

• All map output is in one file (ie. all .dat files are replaced by one .xmdf file).
  • It is very fast to load up into SMS as it contains an data index header at the top of the file.
  • Uses a folder structure within the file to manage data and more easily view and access data using a explorer style tree structure when using SMS (see attached image).
  • The format is recognised by other software such as MatLab.
  • Support for larger output file sizes.

There are a number of .dll files which are used by the executable, these are included in the .zip download, alternatively if the TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe is added to the same location as the 32 bit version of the TUFLOW executable these .dll files will already be there.

Any problems, feedback or queries, please email support@tuflow.com.

post-220-0-50407100-1311300036_thumb.png

Hi Phillip,

Thanks, been looking forward to this for a while. However trying to run the program, I get an error message:

"This application has failed to start because xmdf1.8dll.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

If I run from the command line there is no error message, but the program does not return anything. Is there a dependency file that needs to be placed with the .exe?

Cheers

Rhys

Hi Phillip,

I have been playing around with the new file format and have used the new TUFLOW_TO_GIS executable to extract a maximum grid from a single xmdf file, but was wondering if there is a DAT_TO_DAT equivalent for xmdf files (i.e. to extraxct a maximum envelope from a series of xmdf files)?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

I am currently working on the dat_to_dat to incorporate XMDF support, I will hopefully have a version to upload shortly.

Now the tricky question, the name dat_to_dat probably needs an update, any suggestions?

• Res_to_res.exe?
  • Anything_to_anyting.exe?
  • ????

Cheers

Phillip